Students instructor talking to each other

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Financial Aid?

Financial Aid may consist of one or more awards to assist you in paying your college costs (tuition, fees, and textbooks).  Types of financial aid include grants, loans, scholarships, and work study.  Financial aid awards may consist of a combination of these types of aid.  (See Financial Aid page for more info)

Who Is Eligible for Financial Aid?
(click here for Eligibility Requirements)

How Do I Apply for Financial Aid?
(Click here for Getting Started)

Do I Have to Complete a New Financial Aid Application Each Semester.
No. The FAFSA application is filed only  once per year, but you have until June 30th of the following year to submit a completed application. 

If I Filed The Fafsa Do I Need To Apply For Any Other Grants?
Yes. The FAFSA is used solely for a federal grant, and you must submit an application to the Higher Education Student Assistance Authority (HESAA) to be considered for any state grants such as Tuition Aid Grant (TAG).

Does Financial Aid Pay For Remedial Credits?   
Generally speaking, financial aid can be used for up to 30 credits of remedial study.  For specific information, we encourage you to speak with your financial aid advisor. 

I Received A Letter Stating I Must Submit An Appeal To Get Financial Aid, Will I Get Approved?
Decisions regarding an appeal are made by a Financial Aid Appeal Committee.  Submission of an appeal does not guarantee an approval to continue to receive financial aid.

I Have A Loan, But It Has Not Been Processed, Will My Classes Be Dropped?
Loans are considered financial aid.  Students who have submitted the necessary paperwork (master promissory note, Entrance Counseling, and Loan Request Form) will not have their classes dropped.

Can I Charge Books To My Grant Award In The Bookstore?
If your financial aid awards exceed the amount of your tuition and fees, you are eligible for a book deferment.  Book deferments are based on the number of registered credits at the time of the award.  If you drop or add classes, after you have been granted a book deferment, you may owe a tuition balance.

What Do I Need to Do to Maintain Financial Aid?
You must attend classes, maintain Satisfactory Academic Performance, have no violations of the Student Code of Conduct, and no drug law violations.  (Details)

What Is Satisfactory Academic Progress, And Can I Still Receive Financial Aid?
A student who receives federal or state financial aid (i.e., Pell Grant, TAG, etc.) must meet the federal government standards of Satisfactory Academic Performance and Progress.  The financial aid policy on SAP can be found in the student handbook, the Financial Aid Office, or on the college website. A students’ performance (GPA), and progress (program completion) is initially checked at the end of the Spring term of an academic year.  If a student is found to be unsatisfactory, there are several options which may be available to them.  For additional information, please see our college catalog or speak with a Financial Aid Officer.

What If I Can’t Attend My Classes Or Need To Withdraw?
You should withdraw from your classes prior to the add-drop period which is generally 2 weeks after the semester has started.  If you do not officially withdraw from classes you will be charged a $100 Non-attend fee for each class.

I Heard That If I Withdraw From My Classes I Might Need To Repay My Financial Aid.  Is This True?
Yes.  The federal financial aid programs require students to “earn” their aid.  If a student withdraws prior to the 60% point of the semester, they have not “earned” the full amount of the financial aid awards.  Determination of the amount earned, and the amount of tuition the student may owe is determined by the Financial Aid Office in conjunction with the Bursar office.  Shoul you need to withdraw, you must see an Academic Advisor, and submit the withdrawal paperwork to the Financial Aid Office for signature

Who Should I Contact If I Have A Specific Question?
If your question cannot be answered by visiting our website, you should contact the Financial Aid Office at 973-684-6100 and ask to speak with your counselor.  Click here for a list of Financial Aid Counselors

Where is the PCCC Financial Aid Office?
The PCCC Financial Aid Office is located on the Main Campus in Paterson.
Financial Aid counselors also visit the Wanaque and Passaic campuses to serve students who cannot come to Paterson. (PCCC Financial Aid Office)